Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Corey Knows Dressage is About Feel



When you first see this lanky 16 year old teenager, you really don't think that anything is unusual, except that he likes horses and dressage. Well, there is something a little more different. Corey is visually impaired.
Corey has already competed at the Niagara Dressage Shows, and has done extremely well at the basic levels, but he wanted to know more about this challenging sport.
Corey's thirst for knowledge brought him to Kirkridge. From the first day that I taught Corey, I had never realized how much Dressage was completely about feel. I'd always stated to my students that "dressage is about feeling the horse", and I'm sure that anyone who knows me, and has ridden with me, will attest to the fact that I have said this many times over. Corey just brought the whole concept "home" for me.
So, we work on rider position, and feeling the horses' balance. We've even started on lateral work. All this with a student that is totally intriqued with feeling the horse instead of seeing it.
Maverick, one of my schoolmasters has done a wonderful job with Corey. But on the other hand, I would be confident to let him ride my other horses. What sense (his eyesight) he has lost, he has gained in a lot of ways.