Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Huge Storm Hits Nearby: Farm is Untouched

















Do you ever have that gut feeling? Well today was one of them. I had heard a weather warning for our area, saw the black clouds and decided to batton down the hatches. I'm glad I did.
Even the horses outside were begging to come in.
Les and I took all the vehicles and parked them in the arena, as the weather forecasters were calling for hail.
Then all hell broke loose. As you can see from the pics, not even 1/2km from me the literal devestation that the "down draft" or "tornado" caused.
Just after the picture of the barn was taken, I ran down into the basement as I was probably the most scared I have been from a storm. With winds that I guess exceeded 100kms per hour, pea sized hail, and super black clouds, I was sure that we were going to get wiped out.
After doing a visual of the farm, I was surprised to only see a couple of full garbage cans toppled and a missing wash bucket. The horses were fine in the stables, and apart from a valley that had turned into a river, Kirkridge escaped damage.
The little town down the road was another story, as you can see from the pics.
We were VERY lucky.